SADHANA BOOKLIST SHARING PART 1 (2013)
Below, I am sharing book titles that certainly helped me on my spiritual journey over the years. The list is not at all complete; there are some books that are too personal to my practice or at least must be studied in conjunction with a spiritual guide/teacher, and have, therefore, been omitted. At best, this is an introduction.
Please feel free to leave a comment by clicking on the "Happy Thoughts" link at the end of the post.
- The Play of Consciousness by Swami Muktananda
- From the Finite to the Infinite by Swami Muktananda
- The Yoga Sutras of Pantanjali
- The Bhagavad Gita Translated by Eknath Easwaran
- Jnaneshwar's Gita (Jnaneshwar Maharaj's Rendering of the Bhagavad Gita) by Swami Kripananda
- The Crest Jewel of Discrimination (Viveka Chudamini) Shankaracharya Translated by Christopher Isherwood and Swami Prabhavananda
- The Upanishads Translated by Eknath Easwaran
- Talks With Ramana Maharshi
- The Heart of Meditation by Swami Durgananda (Sallly Kempton)
- Awakening Shakti by Sally Kempton
- Vasishta's Yoga Translated by Venkatesananda
- Courage and Contentment by Swami Chidvilasananda
- The Yoga of Discipline by Swami Chidvilasananda
- Kundalini: The Arousal of the Inner Energy by Ajit Mookerjee
- The Sacred Power by Swami Kripananda
- In Woods of God Realization Volumes 1-- by Swami Rama Tirtha Pratishthan
- The Book of Secrets by Osho (formerly Bhagavan Shree Rajneesh) * some of the practices in this book should only be done with a spiritual guide available to answer questions that may arise. This book is on the list because of its Tantric value, and because the stories of Nasrudin are classic!
- The Aphorisms of Shiva: The Shiva Sutra with Bhaskara's Commentary, the Vartika Translated by Mark S.G. Dyczkowski
- Nothing Exists That is Not Shiva by Swami Muktananda
- I Am That: (The Science of Hamsa from Vijnana Bhairava no. 24) by Swami Muktananda (Note: I HIGHLY recommend every book written by Swami Muktananda. There are a slue of books published in the early 1970's that only exist as first editions. I implore you to search for these books online!)
It's great to be back in the blogoshpere!
Sadgurunath Maharaj ki Jay!
* Disclaimer: Meditation, tantra, pranayama, etc., should not be undertook without first gaining consent from a medical doctor. This suggested reading is list based on my 25 years of sadhana under the guide of master teachers.